Tuesday 7 February 2012

Spike Nike

Wake up, Wake Up, Wake UP!  Up You Wake, Up You Wake, Up You Wake!


It's Tommy Wheels, you know it! It you know! I am just coming at you with the first blog of 40 acres and a fool! 


This blog is about Spike Lee, the film maker and owner of production company "40 Acres and a Mule".  My name is Tommy Weiler, and you may say that I am the fool.  I am an advertising student, with a strong passion for film. In particular, I am constantly inspired by my favourite director; Spike Lee. So I decided to make a blog, dedicated to him entirely.  I hope to share with you some of my thought's on Spike's work, as well as news and upcoming Spike joints. 




So, to start things off. I will be talking about something that hits close to home with me. Spike's work in advertising.



This is a commercial Spike did for Nike, to honour Michael Jordan as he retired.  The basis of the ad is from a campaign the two ran in the late 80's and early 90's.  The ad campaign feature Mars Blackmon a character (played by Spike himself) from Spike's first motion picture "She's Gotta Have It".  The character is a obnoxious, annoying, little guy who talks a mile a minute.  This ad in particular compliments the old ones, the interaction between Mars and Michael is in the old classic style.  Mars asks a question, Michael gives him a minimal response and Mars continues to ask questions.  This ad works because Mars is an entertaining character, and it wouldn't matter if you didn't know the background of the character.  But that is an entire blog of it's own.



Always Do the Right Thing.

- Tommy Wheels








No comments:

Post a Comment